What is legislation?
Legislation are the laws governing us all. In the UK we have three types
- 'Common law' which is not written down but has come into being historically.
- 'Statute law' which comes into being through an Act of Parliament.
- European Union laws
Each of these types must be adhered to by an organisation and it is up
to the organisation to ensure the laws are implemented by it's employees.
Legislation affecting IT.
The legislation which this course covers is:
- The Data Protection Act.
- aimed at protecting the rights of the individual to privacy.
- If an organisation holds data on individuals it must register under
- Personal Data should be processed fairly and lawfully.
- Personal Data should be held only for registered purpose/s.
- Personal Data should not be disclosed in anyway other than lawfully
and within the registered purpose.
- Personal Data held should be adequate and relevant and not excessive
for the required purpose.
- Personal data should be accurate and kept up-to-date.
- Personal data should not be kept for longer than is necessary.
- Data must be processed in accordance with the rights of the data
- Appropriate security measures must be taken against unauthorised
- Individuals should be informed about the data stored and should
be entitled to have access to it and be able to correct errors.
- Personal data cannot be transferred to countries outside the European
Union unless the country provides an adequate level of protection.
- The Computer Misuse Act
- Before this act it was not possible to prosecute a 'hacker'. The
act created 3 new offences.
- Unauthorised access to computer material (viewing data which you
are not authorised to see).
- Unauthorised access with intent to commit or facilitate commission
of further offences (hacking).
- Unauthorised modification of computer material.
- Copyright Designs and Patents Act
- This act protects software developers from having their software
copied and pirated.
- A software audit should be carried out by an organisation to ensure
all its software is legal.
- Health and Safety
- Both employers and employees are obliged to implement the relevant
Health and Safety provisions, which are designed to provide a safe
and healthy working environment.
happening at ictWeb.org
tell us what you think of our site, any comments or suggestions
This site is constantly being
updated... please watch this space